Re: [linux-audio-user] Cannot get qjackctl, jackd, alsa working.

From: David Froseth <dfro@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 13 2006 - 21:44:36 EET

Guys,
        I am not a total newcomer to the command line. I have been using the
CLI for about two years. I have been installing, compiling, and using
*nix programs, which have been ported over to OSX's X11. I have had a
linux box (which I build into a server case, so I can take it to gigs)
for about a month. I have found that linux is very similar to OSX
command line, so everything has carried over (and sftp'ed and scp'ed
over) easily.
        I am a newcomer to linux audio, though. The cd player works and I can
hear sound in the headphones from the motherboard soundcard. Ardour is
compiled and installed, and many of the other sound programs are
installed and launch fine, but I am snagged by the jack/qjackctl thing.
        You can suggest command line stuff. I am sure there are big holes in my
understanding, but I don't think I will accidentally erase my hard drive.

My current status with jack, qjackctl is as follows. If I run 'jackd'
from the command line, I get:

$ jackd -d alsa
jackd 0.102.20
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

It looks like jack is working. But when I next run 'qjackctl' from the
command line, I get:

$ qjackctl
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
   Major opcode: 144
   Minor opcode: 3
   Resource id: 0x0
Failed to open device
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
   Major opcode: 144
   Minor opcode: 3
   Resource id: 0x0
Failed to open device
Warning: no locale found: /usr/share/locale/qjackctl_en_US.UTF-8.qm

Also, the qjackctl GUI window launches and displays this message:

jackd 0.102.20
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
`default' server already active
14:01:59.752 JACK was stopped with exit status=1.
14:01:59.945 Could not connect to JACK server as client. Please check
the messages window for more info.
14:02:05.182 MIDI connection change.

qjackctl cannot connect to jack server as client. (?)

Thanks for the help!

Dave