Re: [linux-audio-user] FC2->Fc3->Fc4->Fc5->FC6->FC*: it's crazy!

From: Forest Bond <forest@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 15 2006 - 05:03:28 EET

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 05:30:11PM -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
> every time there is a new Fedora Core, I usually get around to moving to
> the next version. However, for me, it's a bit of a pain to do because
> you really have to wipe the disc and start all over.. ."upgrading"
> Fedora doesn't really work well. At least for me it doesn't.
>
> Don't you find this a bit irritating? I do. It's not hard, it just seems
> unnecessary.

I don't know why people tolerate this sort of thing. Debian and Ubuntu have
_always_ upgraded well for me. These are projects that recognize that one of
the most important (if not _the_ most important) responsibilty of a distribution
is dependency management, including versioned dependencies through upgrades.

I recently started maintaining a RHEL server at work, and up2date is one of the
crudest tools I've ever seen. It just barely does anything right at all.

I guess I've just been spoiled by apt-get, aptitude, synaptic, update-manager,
et. al... (And the package maintainers for the above-mentioned projects --
package managers need good data to do their jobs well).

-Forest