[linux-audio-user] Re: FC2->Fc3->Fc4->Fc5->FC6->FC*: it's crazy!

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 17 2006 - 09:32:22 EET

Paul Winkler:

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 07:19:12AM -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
>> Thanks to everyone for their views on distros. But, don't let my
>> thanking stop you, it's a good thread. Learning issues of other distros
>> is helpful for me and I hope others.
>>
>> What I think I'll do is grab a completely clean HD and install Gentoo
>> when I have a free day. I might be coming back to the Gentoo experts
>> begging for help when I get lost!
>
> Another thing if you want to try a lot of distros, investigate the free
> VMWare products. It makes it trivial to bounce back and forth and try
> crazy experiments without ruining your existing system.
>
> Problem: I doubt you can use pro/semipro audio hardware at low
> latencies under VMWare, but I haven't tried that.

By using Torbhen's netjack driver, I guess it should be possible to
send audio back and forth between the vmware side and the host side in a
synchronized way. It might work very well.

(I tried running jackdmp in windows under vmware, and that worked very
well. Unfortunately, I didn't have the tools to compile netjack under
windows... (someone should make a package of netjack for windows :-) ))