[linux-audio-user] Presonus Firepod + Linux = ? ? ?

From: sevol <sevol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 18 2006 - 17:47:47 EET

Hi,

This is my first post to this mailing list. I'm trying to find an Linux
audio distro that'll work with my audio interface, a Presonus Firepod.
Anyone here using the Firepod with Linux? Or know someone who is?

A year or so ago when I bought it I thought I read on a web page
*somewhere?* that the Firepod was working with at least one Linux
variant. Setting up Linux eventually as the basis for a DAW was in my
mind, so, that seemed like a selling point. Now, I'm not sure what I read.

The ALSA Soundcard Matrix page lists nothing Presonus. On the other
hand, the freeBob page (not the page for the man who was awaiting
execution, since killed by the state of Texas.) has 3 Presonus audio
interfaces shown as having freeBob firmware in the List of Supported
Devices. The Firepod is one. But having the proper freeBob firmware may
not mean much for my concerns, am I right?

I did try Agnula Demudi. Using the Live disc, it seemed Jack recognized
& noted my connected Firepod, but I couldn't get it to actually function
with audio software. I think I tried getting it to work with Ardour. As
for Demudi, DistroWatch lists it as dormant. Is that like hibernating?
Or more, the sleep of death?

I figured the Firepod would narrow my choice of distros down some. My
question is, have I narrowed it down to zero? Is A Linux-Firepod union
impossible at this stage of the game?

Thanks for reading,
                        underwater