[linux-audio-user] RE: Interview with EnergyXT Developer

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 19 2006 - 10:40:30 EET

"Ivica Ico Bukvic":

> So, if I understand this correctly, there is no API out there that simply
> translates common GUI VST calls into any of the libre toolkits which are
> also available on Linux, other than the full-fledged Wine implementation? If
> so, that *really* sucks.

Well, probably maybe. Its hard to know what GUI toolkits closed source
software use. And it doesn't matter very much either until there is a
big enough marked for commercial vst plugins on linux, which might never
happen because we have better standards than vst for fitted for linux
audio: The trouble of getting various x toolkits to work with each other
is probably more easely solved by using dssi or just making jack programs
out of the plugins. Besides, ladspa is a much more supported standard than
vst on linux, and for most vst plugins, it probably doesn't require that
much work to make them support ladspa as well as vst.

I think it boils down to vst plugin developers not having much interest
in linux audio. Thats where the work needs to be done I think.