[linux-audio-user] Software recommendation

From: Chris McCormick <chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 28 2006 - 09:51:15 EET

Hi All,

This is a request for information about which bit(s) of software
people would recommend for a particular musical workflow. I build
my synthesizers in Puredata and I have an uc33 controller to do knob
tweaking via midi. This Christmas my girlfriend is getting me a USB
midi keyboard and I'd like to start writing some 'live' tracks using
that. Puredata's strong point is not sequencing and notation, so what
I need is an application that I can send midi notes and controller data
through, which will remember them and pass them on to Puredata. Ideally I
could go back after playing a track live, and shift notes around, modify
controller envelopes etc. I am happy to do something like use vmidi
loopbacks or whatever. I'm on Debian and my preference is for something
that won't pull in too many wacky dependencies, but please don't let that
stop you suggesting something. I use Fluxbox and mostly Gtk based apps.

Thanks very much for your time!

Best,

Chris.

chris@email-addr-hidden