Re: [linux-audio-user] Real-time kernel

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 11:12:25 EET

Hallo,
Chuckk Hubbard hat gesagt: // Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> Forgot to mention I'm using Debian. Great, though, this page was the
> first thing I tried. It worked as far as booting the kernel, but my
> latency was horrible. I have read that the patches mentioned in it
> are considered obsolete, and that simply having libpam patched to be
> rlimits-aware is sufficient. I have some libpam files for i386, but
> I'm on AMD64 now and I'm not sure what to do.

You don't seem to have a way to let jackd run with elevated
priority yet. This should be your first priority, because even with a
realtime kernel you will get horrible latencies, unless you fix that.
(IMO not a lot of people really need a RT-patched kernel nowawadays.)

So you should first install *and configure* a rtlimits-enables libpam
or use the set_limits command line app to start jackd, if you cannot
find one. But Ubuntu should have a libpam even for AMD64. (Btw: Do you
really want to run AMD64?)

Ciao