Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Software recommendation

From: Robert Jonsson <rj@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 30 2006 - 22:49:18 EET

Hello James,

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 13:21, James Stone wrote:
> > Being a MusE developer and long time user, I'm merely asking as to
> > understand
>
> > what other users lack in MusE that we might fix to make it better (apart
> > from
> > mediocre publicity...).
> >
> > This questions is definately not just directed at Carlo.
>
> Hi Robert!
>
> I really like Muse, but for me it fits a different niche than seq24.
> Personally I would always choose Muse over RG (KDE is not my fave). But I
> think RG and MusE (and cubase and cakewalk etc.) are really let down by
> their very weak editing of loops. If there was some way to edit specify
> loops (drum or baseline) and then sequence them in a non-clunky way, I
> think it would be great. The way I work with it is often to design the
> loops as single bars then copy-paste them, but it is not a particularly
> easy way of working (compared to seq24) and the labeling of the bars is
> quite fiddly (if it works at all.. I can't really remember).

Labeling should work.

> For sequencing
> non loop-based music (classical, jazz etc.) then I think MusE is really
> nice.

Regarding sequencing repetitive stuff I agree.
Though for repetitive midi stuff there's actually a part type called clone
that allows to place one midi part on several places, which can be useful
(though there is a very elusive bug that causes it to misbehave from time to
time).

For audio there's lots that can be added to help with loops. Beat detection,
time stretching, etc..

> Two things I would really like to see in MusE: DSSI support,

Which is coming in 1.0.

> and some way
> of remembering what the connections were to individual tracks (just having
> the ability to associate a longer piece of text with each track would be
> nice - it would enable me to write what instrument that track was driving,
> and what preset I need to load into that instrument.. maybe LASH will be
> able to do this sometime, but with the lack of support from most software
> it is not really an option now).

Ok, basically a comment field for all mixer items. .. And why stop there, it
could be added for parts also.

Interesting ideas, thanks!

/Robert

--