Re: [linux-audio-user] Real-time kernel

From: Bill Allen <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 01 2006 - 12:52:07 EET

>> I didn't mention but the rtirq script only makes sense on a
>> realtime-preempt enabled kernel (aka ingo's patch), and you also need
>> `chrt` and `pidof` system utilities around; and/or schedutils installed,
>> don't even know if this is the name of the providing package in debian.
>
> I read that this patch has been adopted into the kernel. The rest of
> what you're saying... I don't think I have time, maybe I will try
> later. Thanks anyway.
At the risk of repeating myself, in the time that I've been just reading
this thread (not to mention the time that you've been putting into
trying the stuff mentioned) I could have downloaded 64Studio, set aside
a 5-10 GB partition, installed it, and had a working system with all the
real-time patched AMD64 music-enabled system that you can get. Yes,
you've got to dual boot, I do it all the time. Ubuntu is my family
system that we use for work and play, but when I want to do music I boot
into 64Studio. It's simply a lot easier than trying to make a general
purpose distro into a music enabled one.

Bill