[linux-audio-user] Bristol segfaults when run on real-time kernel while works fine on regular.

From: Glen Kirkup <handstandnosemanual@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 03 2006 - 00:08:27 EET

Unfortunately I've recently come across a problem when running the
startBristol script. I switch between two kernels (CK for desktop and RT7-CK
for real-time music work). When within the CK kernel the program runs as
expected, but when in the RT7-CK kernel, as both user and root, the program
crashes and outputs this message with any selection of synth, audio driver
and port:

[root@email-addr-hidden bin]# ./startBristol -jack
./startBristol: line 188: [: too many arguments
spawning midi thread
parent going into idle loop
midi sequencer
Problem with bind
Could not open control listening socket: 0
No controlling socket available: anticipating MIDI
connected to :0 (814b2f0)
Error opening control device, exiting midi thread
display is 1280 by 800 pixels
Window is w 1280, h 800, d 24, 0 0 0
Using TrueColor display
masks are ff0000 ff0000 ff0000
Initialise the arp2600 link to bristol: 8153348
hostname is localhost, bristol
port is 5028
./startBristol: line 272: 3877 Segmentation fault brighton $* -engine
[root@email-addr-hidden bin]# parent exiting

[root@email-addr-hidden bin]#

As a Linux novice I do not know what could cause this. I changed the
permissions of the entire bristol-0.9.5 directory to '777' after my
preliminary tests, but this did not help. I have not experienced problems
with other audio software using this kernel. If anyone could give assistance
then I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks,
Glen