Re: [linux-audio-user] Recording Fluidsynth playing a MIDI file with ardour

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 03 2006 - 17:23:38 EET

luis jure wrote:

>i haven't found an option for fluidsynth that writes directly to a
>file. normally i use timidity -Ow -o file.wav file.mid, it renders the
>midi file in a fraction of its real time duration. but timidity has
>some bugs when using soundfonts, so i wanted to try fluidsynth. after
>searching the documentation, i was under the impression that fluidsynth
>only knows how to output to the soundcard in real time, which is a
>pity. for me at least that makes it useless. i think it would be a good
>idea if the developers considered the possibility of including output
>to a file.

Hi luis,

Agree++.

Meanwhile I continue to record MIDI files played in realtime from
Fluidsynth (QSynth actually) into ecasound via JACK.

Btw, I think TiMidity ignores performance characteristics of soundfonts.
I stopped using it as you described because the same fonts were rendered
differently than in QSynth/Fluidsynth.

Best,

dp