Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: LightScribe and linux

From: Stephen Cameron <smcameron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 04 2006 - 18:12:42 EET

--- Cesare Marilungo <cesare@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> >> Somehow :-) . Maybe directly ;-) .
> >
> > http://intellinuxgraphics.org
> >

> > Tommi
> >

> Ok, but even intel still releases most of their driver as binary only
> (e.g. for chips used in wireless cards, modems). Why?

(Caveat: I don't know what heck I'm talking about)
In the case of wireless, it may be due to government
regulations of the airwaves.

E.g. Read the README from the ipw2200 driver,
specifically section 0.

http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/README.ipw2200

Not trying to defend or attack Intel's position,
just providing a link to something I saw once which
seems related to the answer to your question.

-- steve