RE: [linux-audio-user] Bristol segfaults when run onreal-timekernelwhile works

From: Glen Kirkup <handstandnosemanual@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 06 2006 - 01:16:13 EET

>From: "Nick Copeland" <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
>To: linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
>Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Bristol segfaults when run
>onreal-timekernelwhile works
>Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 10:43:23 +0100
>
>Hi Glen,
>
>>I've found that using the -jack option with any other option while jack is
>>running is what causes both './startBristol: line 188: [: too many
>>arguments' and the program choosing port 0 by default. When running in the
>>non-RT kernel, where Bristol works as expected, gives './startBristol:
>>line 188: [: too many arguments' when jack is running and -jack with any
>>other option is used, though selects the correct default port and works
>>fine.
>
>This may be an issue with the RT options? If jack is not running when you
>start bristol then the jack API will start it using the current user ID and
>permissions, and the bristol engine can connect to it. If the daemon is
>already running then you need sufficient privileges to connect, and you may
>have differences between the RT and non-RT systems. If the engine fails to
>connect then it will exit gracefully, and, in the release you have, if the
>brighton GUI fals to connect to bristol it exits rather ungracefully. This
>exit is now a little nicer, but the issue remains the failure of bristol to
>link to jack, I think.
>
>What happens if you start bristol as root? I will look into the error
>message on line 188, I don't think it is the cause, just a syntax error in
>the wrapper script.
>
>Regards,
>Nick.

Thanks for the reply.

I always use the RT kernel as root as I have not got realtime-lsm installed
for user real-time, so I was starting both jack and bristol in a terminal as
root to find the results. The same segfault happens when logged in as a user
on that kernel. I wonder what it could be?

Glen

It's Hotmail's 10th Birthday! Come and play Pass the Parcel
http://www.msnpasstheparcel.com