[linux-audio-user] Squeak Audio

From: Brad Fuller <brad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 09 2006 - 23:00:11 EET

Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> It's a pity that the audio (an in general the multimedia) aspects of
> squeak have been left behind in recent development.

Hi Cesare,

I agree. It can be so much better. As you know, I made a call out to
Squeak developers and a few replied regarding refreshing the multimedia
side of squeak. But, you know, maybe I asked the wrong people! Most of
the developers on the main squeak development list focus on more basic
fundamentals. I should have made the call here. I would love if audio
developers here would get involved in squeak! Think of how fast and how
cool some of those apps would be!

Squeak has many benefits for audio developers:

1: you can take advantage of all the great features of Smalltalk. Too
numerous to list here - the late binding facilities of smalltalk is one
important perk. Great for development and for deployment.
See: http://squeak.org/Features/Development/

For any competent programmer, the smalltalk syntax can be learned in an
hour. To take advantage of the classes takes much longer.

2: Your application will, in most cases will be available on Windows
Mac and Linux immediately. (unless you write a VM plugin which you'll
have to port)

3: It already has many audio facilities already completed (as I
mentioned, ALSA plugin is in the latest 3.9 VM.) Some of them need
cleaning up, and that would be a great way to start learning the classes
for audio.

4: there are many resources at your disposal - from the rich Smalltalk
environment to the Wiki's and development mailing lists.

Please chime in, Cesare, with your experience with pd, OSC and squeak.

--
brad fuller
  http://www.Sonaural.com/