Re: [linux-audio-user] Software suitable for children

From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 10 2006 - 15:48:04 EET

Chris McCormick:
>On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 12:15:54PM -0800, michael@email-addr-hidden wrote:

>> >git is a version control system that, apparently, the OLPC developers
>> >
>> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_(software)
>>
>> I feel so stupid. Of course. Git, as in "get".
>
>I always assumed that Linus named it "Git" after either Larry McVoy or
>Tridge (or both!). I get the impression he didn't think particularly
>highly of either of them after his workflow was interrupted so suddenly.

Actually, "git" is a swedish word meaning something like "extreme
posession", or wanting something very bad. Its a word thats used
frequently to describe the devils wish for souls.

Quting from the online dictionary http://g3.spraakdata.gu.se/saob/
on "git":
"BETYDELSE: frö av svartkummin."

Betydelse = Meaning
Frö = strong desire
av = to have
svartkummin = evil desire ("svart"=evil and "kummin"=desire)

And since Linus' native language is swedish, my guess is that this
is his funny way to say that he has an evil desire to spread linux
all over the world. Well, thats just my theory. :-)