Re: [linux-audio-user] Thesis: Playing and making music

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 11 2006 - 02:55:34 EET

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 03:09:33AM +0100, Esben Stien wrote:

> Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>
> > Good gamers reach incredible levels of virtuosity with their
> > controllers (mouse, gamepad etc.) that really compare to the
> > virtuosity of, say, a pianist in some cases.
>
> Indeed;)

Mmmm. Virtuosity is more than speed, reflexes, and acrobatics.
Playing an instrument involves more than virtuosity. Music is
about more than knowing how to play an instrument.

To stay with pianists, just listen to Radu Lupu playing Schubert,
e.g. the Moments Musicaux. Not very difficult technically, when
compared to some other piano music. Then listen how each and
every note is carefully controlled and phrased. It gives me
the shivers when I hear this. To compare this to the skills
of a gamer seems a joke to me.

--
FA
Lascia la spina, cogli la rosa.