Re: [linux-audio-user] Attracting more Linux audio developers

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Mon Dec 11 2006 - 03:43:34 EET

Esben Stien wrote:

> fora.linuxaudio.org would also be a good idea. New users coming in are
> most likely to be familiar with web forums, but die hard GNU people
> generally despise web forums,

Thats sounds like me.

> so put up a gateway, so that we may
> interact with the new users from a mailing list.

I have never seen one of these gateways work at all well. I susbscribe
to about 5 mailing lists that push froum posts onto the mailing lists
and for all of those I end up adding a procmail rule to /dev/null the
forum posts. The main problem with these forum posts is that they
don't thread properly, don't quote context and the quality of the posts
is well below that of the people who actually bother to subscribe to the
lists.

There was one other mailing list where I actually unsubscribed from the
list because the forum posts screwed the whole thing up too badly.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores
the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them
into it in the first place. - Douglas Adams in Guardian, 25-Aug-95