Re: [linux-audio-user] Thesis: Playing and making music

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 12 2006 - 00:12:34 EET

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 06:51:18PM +0000, Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 05:44:30AM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> >

> >>Ascribing "art" as a qualifier to any endeavor simply reduces the
> >>accuracy and meaning of the term.
> >>

> >Very true. The only result of trying to dilute or shift the
> >meaning of a word to make it fit your ideas, is that if you
> >succeed, dictionaries will need to be revised.
> >

> Very false. ;-)
>
> Actually, the term 'art' has always been used also, and even more, in
> the sense of 'skill' or 'craft' for a long time. The art of making
> bread, for instance, deserves the same respect of the art of making music.

I do understand what you mean to say by this, but still this proposition
remains true. Changing the meaning or use of a word doesn't modify reality,
but only the meaning or use of the word.

And yes, the expression 'the art of ...' is used, and rightly so, and what
it refers to deserves respect. But 'art' in this expression doesn't have
the same meaning as when that word is used on its own. You won't find 'the
art of breadmaking' in any book on art history, and there are good reasons
for that.

--
FA
Lascia la spina, cogli la rosa.