Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Squeak (was Software suitable for children)

From: Cesare Marilungo <cesare@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 12 2006 - 01:21:22 EET

Rob wrote:
> Unfortunately, the presence of famous people doesn't
> automatically make a project intuitive, modern, or good for
> teaching kids.
I totally agree with this. But still I respect them. Not the famous
people, but great innovators.
> Squeak needs some updates, and maybe it needs
> new blood to make them happen, even if there are no PhD's
> contributing code anymore.
I couldn't care less for PhD's. I'm for self-education. Squeak, BTW, has
been inspired by the construtivism theories and by softwares like Logo
and HyperCard. Not really meant for PhD's.

> I personally think it needs some changes to the underlying
> language to make it accessible to first-time coders
> (scriptHello/self.setCharacters("Hello World")? How is that
> better than TO Hello/PRINT [Hello World]/END or good ol' Sub
> Main/Print "Hello World"/End? Or Sub Form_Open/Me.Text = "Hello
> World"/End if you need to be all OOPsy.)

Transcript show: 'Hello world'.

c.

--
http://www.cesaremarilungo.com