Re: Linux future split (was:Re: [linux-audio-user] Software suitable for children)

From: Lars Luthman <lars.luthman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 12 2006 - 02:54:01 EET

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 19:28 -0500, lanas wrote:
> That's beside the point. If I can install Jokosher in about 120
> seconds max (see below) that does not mean that the split does not
> exists. I can install Jokosher in such a short time because somebody
> else than the developers took care of packaging it. The developers
> themselves did not.

You can't expect programmers to write detailed documentation for every
Foobar Linux out there. The only thing that can be reasonably expected
is generic installation instructions - "install these versions of these
libraries then run 'make install'". Making things work seamlessly with
Foobar Linux is the job of the packagers and distribution maintainers of
Foobar Linux, any distribution-specific info from the actual programmers
is just a bonus.

> For instance, where is Jokosher for CCRMA ?

I don't know if there is one, but if there isn't, wouldn't it be up to
the CCRMA people to package it and not the Jokosher authors?

--
Lars Luthman - please encrypt any email sent to me if possible
PGP key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x04C77E2E