Re: [linux-audio-user] Attracting more Linux audio developers

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 12 2006 - 05:09:19 EET

On Monday 11 December 2006 21:42, Esben Stien wrote:
> That's a big point in having a wiki where you don't have to
> register. You actually have no, absolutely zero, maintenance,
> because the users removes the spam.
>
> You install a wiki, then leave it be.

That's great with a wiki that has a wildly active userbase, like
Wikipedia. On any other wiki, what the spammers count on for
their business model is that people are not looking at the
recent changes page 20 times a day to delete Chinese search
engine bait. On a public site with a moderate pagerank and a
few hundred users making updates a few dozen times a day, like
the one I ran for Gambas documentation (it's still there, and
still called a wiki, but it's really a CMS with more structure
than a wiki) once they found it, it was totally out of hand.

Even with registration, if you're running any common kind of wiki
software, like Mediawiki or TWiki, there are thousands of bots
out there that will auto-register and post spam. You need a
CAPTCHA or email verification besides the registration.

And even if your site is as active as Wikipedia, that means the
site is big enough that it's going to need constant maintenance
anyway for non-content-related reasons.

The truth is that wikis, like gardens, need to be tended
constantly or they get vermin and weeds. In no way is it a "set
it and forget it" situation.

Rob