Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Attracting more Linux audio developers

From: Mathias Friman <mathias.friman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 12 2006 - 15:22:51 EET

Hannu Savolainen wrote:
> About the original subject: IMHO the only way to attract more Linux
> audio developers is paying for the software. Money is the reason why 90%
> of people do any work. Practically all professional audio software
> developers do they work for Win/Mac because the _paying_ customers use
> them. Linux audio software is being developed by amateurs because there
> is no market for professional developers.

I don't think that the professional developers that code for Linux on their spare time agrees
with you on that subject. :) Or all the people employed by Novell, RedHat, Ubuntu etc.

Money is not the sole motivator, and it does not guarantee quality. There is no lack of good
programs for linux audio production, what it lacks is documentation and an overall picture.

If there existed a one-mouseclick-install Linux audio solution that ran VST-synths, had a
latency of below 2 msec and with an abundance of documentation and user following, there
would be no discussion. I personally think that it is the amount of study-time and steep
learning curve that deters the people from adopting Linux. And since linux audio has got
such a narrow spectrum and few followers, there is noone close at hand to ask questions.

This list is a perfect example. If I had the same amount of knowledge available from swedish
speaking people, I wouldn't bother much with this list. :) International relations is all well and
good, but as most people I prefer to use my native tongue.

Kiitos (or something),
Mathias