Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Squeak (was Software suitable for children)

From: David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 12 2006 - 16:42:07 EET

On Monday 11 December 2006 21:47, linux-audio-user-request@email-addr-hidden
wrote:
> > Smalltalk 80 is, well, 26 years old. Before Unicode so is incompatable
> > with mutlingual keyboard choices. No Hebrew for my daughter, not in UI
> > and cannot type it in to text objects either. Truetype fonts (newer than
> > smalltalk80) are beatutiful but they are also Unicode based nowadays.
>
> I'm not a language expert, to say the least. I don't know about Hebrew
> usage in Squeak. But, Unicode and multilingual support is supported (I
> think from version 3.7 on, don't know.) If it isn't translated to Hebrew
> yet, why not help us by doing so! I believe squeak in German, French,
> Spanish and Japanese are available.
>
> Today's True type fonts are also supported.

Bring up a squeak text widget and try to type in Hebrew. I go nothing in.
Hebrew support is more than Unicode--Hebrew and Arabic are right-to-left
languages. German, French, etc, do not require unicode to work. The Japanese
will argue the point.

If I knew enough computereze in Hebrew, I would love to do the translation.
However, I cannot read Hebrew computer stuff so well myself. My daughter
(remember, we are talking about stuff for kids) does not read English
computer stuff so well. Her KDE and locale is Hebrew. Mine is English.