Re: [linux-audio-user] Attracting more Linux audio developers

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 13 2006 - 22:39:01 EET

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 07:09, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> more 'turnkey hardware' approach to Linux audio. Imagine if
> you could (for example), put a simple SD card in something
> like the GP2X and get yourself a fully-functional hardware
> sampler/sequencer environment with zero setup fuss .. this, to
> me, is the way forward for Linux audio, and is one way to
> attract a lot more people to the Linux-audio ideal..

The GP2X is way more powerful than the PCs I was using 10 years
ago when I was most productive (using my Gravis soundcard and
Digital Orchestrator Pro under Windows, but also using early
versions of Timidity to render my MIDI files with no analog
generation, and Cool Edit for some pretty rudimentary mixing and
editing.) So this sort of thing should be possible.

My only question would be what the options for audio input are on
the GP2X as I'm not aware of it being a Firewire or USB host.

Sorry if you didn't mean the GP2X specifically, but I think its
inexpensive nature and relative availability make it almost
ideal for this sort of project. The Nintendo DS would be an
even better choice if it just had a little more oomph, since it
runs Linux too, is still cheaper and more widely available, and
has the touch screen for better input options. But since my
main computer back then was a P100 with 16MB of RAM, even the DS
isn't impossible to imagine using for a device like this.

Rob