Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Attracting more Linux audio developers

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Thu Dec 14 2006 - 03:04:46 EET

Vince Werber wrote:

> I keep a log of what libs I install but for the life of me... I can't remember
> what I do have without the log... so... I guess I do it too! <heh>

Quite honstly, i think almost nobody should be installing libraries
from source. Rather, I think people should install the pre-packaged
library from their distribution.

The only exception to the above, is developers actually working on
the library and the hopefully rare cases where a developer needs to
test a bleedign edge version of a library that the distribution
has not yet packaged.

As a library author myself, the only two libraries on my system that
were installed from source are libsndfile and libsamplerate.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo
"It's not that perl programmers are idiots, it's that the
language rewards idiotic behavior in a way that no other
language or tool has ever done." --  Erik Naggum