Re: [linux-audio-user] Thesis: Playing and making music

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 15 2006 - 02:35:24 EET

Rob wrote:
> On Sunday 10 December 2006 15:47, Rob wrote:
>> I bet that the Wii remote will make an awesome (but still not
>> right-on) virtual theremin possible pretty soon, though.
>
> Turns out this guy has already some pretty interesting stuff with
> a Wiimote and a Nord Lead, though it sounds like he mapped the
> different axes of movement to the filters rather than the usual
> pitch and volume. No idea whether he was doing it through
> Linux, but since Wiimote drivers exist for Windows and Linux
> now, there's certainly a chance ;)
>
> http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1524401318
>
> The Wiimote looks like it's about to become the world's cheapest
> non-traditional computer music controller, at 40 bucks.

That sounds totally cool!

The interesting thing about the Wiimote is that its motion sensitivity
is not new. 20+ years ago, there was a game controller that looked like
a fat cigar, with a cable coming out the bottom (remote stuff wasn't
commercially viable back then). You held it in your hand and tilted
forward, backward, sideways, could swing it around, etc. It was fully
motion sensitive. Worked with Commodore, Atari, Apple (I think) home
computers plus some video game consoles of the time.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden