RE: [linux-audio-user] Real-time kernel

From: Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 15 2006 - 08:29:00 EET

Your point is IMHO solid. For all the distros I've tried, they all required
some level of tinkering to get them where I liked them. Granted, I am a bit
partial towards polished desktop experience, but even so, a majority of my
work goes towards cleaning-up my audio apps as often prebuilt packages are
incomplete (CCRMA being a glaring exception to this).

All this, however, is a byproduct of the fact that Linux is meant to run on
everything from a washing machine to a supercomputer. Audio being a very
specialized area begs for total integration of OS with specific hardware. In
other words, we could definitely benefit from a vendor which specializes in
professional low-latency hw/sw combo sales if we are to expect the level of
polish expected from a modern OS. However, given the size of pro audio
market coupled with Linux market, anyone venturing in this is going to have
a heck of a time turning profit...

Until such time comes, IMHO we're bound to continue tinkering, which is
something you may or may not find acceptable given the long-term benefits
Linux offers.

Best wishes,

Ico