Re: [linux-audio-user] Sombody had to do it

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 17 2006 - 00:24:02 EET

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 23:07:19 -0500 (EST)
"Jordan" <jordan@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> You did a really nice job on it.

Thanks :)

> It may be a limitation of MIDI, but it there any way to make some of those
> attacks (the beginning of a note) soft? It sounds really hard/harsh
> otherwise. "Silent Night" should have a really smooth feel to it.

This is always a matter of taste really. I deliberately wanted to take
the soft edge off, as sometimes I think people smooth this melody out
till it's nothing by mush. However it is difficult balance to get right
and the instrument I used with the 'bite' is fairly consistent for the
whole piece, although there is a sort of acoustic illusion that
makes it seem to vary.

--
Will J G