Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] Getting Nvidia drivers to work with CCRMA

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 06:25:32 EET

On 12/18/06, Tim Howard <tdhoward@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On 12/18/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > Now, why do you need the ATI driver vs. just using the Xorg radeon
> > driver in the kernel? What are you doing that requires either 3D
> > accelleration, which may or may not not work with that version of the
> > 9200 anyway, or composite/SVideo outputs. Those are the only reasons I
> > know to use the ATI driver.
>
> Well, once upon a time I had a SuSE installation on this very machine,
> and hardware 3D acceleration did not work at all. (software rendering)
> But when I installed the binary drivers, it worked quite well. I
> have since heard that for various reasons, that's not so good.
>
> So when I did this FC5 install, I found that the 3D acceleration was
> not up to par with what I had before, and I assumed that FC5 didn't
> come with the drivers for my card. But I'm finding out that maybe
> they do, and I'm still not quite getting the acceleration that I'm
> used to.

Granted. 3D accel works better in fglrx than radeon. No question about that.

The question I have is what are you doing on a Linux music box that requires it?

I decided not to do any of those things on this Linux box and just
stock with the radeon driver from xorg so that I didn't have to deal
with any of this.

Have fun,
Mark