Re: [linux-audio-user] Real-time kernel

From: <linuxmedia4@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 10:07:14 EET

badmuthahubbard@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> On 12/15/06, Johannes Mario Ringheim <jri@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
>> > All this, however, is a byproduct of the fact that Linux is meant
to run on
>> > everything from a washing machine to a supercomputer. Audio being
a very
>> > specialized area begs for total integration of OS with specific
hardware. In
>> > other words, we could definitely benefit from a vendor which
specializes in
>> > professional low-latency hw/sw combo sales if we are to expect the
level of
>> > polish expected from a modern OS.

>> Remember that Windows also requires considerable tinkering and tweaking
>> to become a feasible audio workstation. Several people I know of have
>> more troubles with their Windows DAWs then I have with my CCRMA
>> installations. In fact I was pretty amazed with CCRMA, I set up two
>> different audio boxes in less than an hour each, complete with RT
>> patches and latest version of ardour and many other apps.

> I find this incredibly hard to believe. Windows works for me with no
> snags, for the most part, and I've spent countless hours wrestling
> with several Linux distros trying to get even halfway acceptable
> latency, to no avail. Recompiling kernels, applying patches,
> re-prioritizing processes, etc. Windows has been phenomenally easier
> in that department, in my experience. I hope to solve this Linux
> business once and for all over break so that I can meet some deadlines
> using it next semester and finally start telling everyone how
> wonderful it is and how foolish they were for laughing at me throwing
> away endless hours on it.

I know someone mentioned their good experiences with Planet CCRMA. I
also have had good experiences with it (running Fedora Core 3 and now
5). All the compiling and whatnot has already been done for you. The
CCRMA/FC5 version is even easier to install then CCRMA/FC3 and even
reorders your IRQs to favor the soundcard (that was the big one for me
because I just couldn't do it with the laptop and it would have been
tedious anyways).

Rocco