Re: [linux-audio-user] MOre realtime!

From: Johannes Mario Ringheim <jri@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 20 2006 - 19:34:05 EET

J M Needham wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So I've just installed Ubuntu 6.09, and followed the instructions on
> http://fort2.xdas.com/~kor/oss2jack/install.html to install the
> realtime-lsm module and I've added
> @audio - rtprio 80
> @audio - memlock 500000
>
> to /etc/security/limits.conf and set the realtime mode on Jack. Seems ok,
> the only thing is that I can't get below 5.8 ms latency. Jack's behaving
> nicely with very few xruns, but won't do any better. The output of the
> messages with 32 frames for capture, for example, is:

One quick tip:

I just recently installed 6.10 (wich I guess you are referring to..?),
and discovered a hackish-but-working method of getting RT in Ubuntu:
Install the 64studio multimedia-kernel package. Works great here, I now
got a rock steady 2.9ms on an el crap'o laptop soundcard, running with
Beryl and Emerald! Didn't need to edit limits.conf.

Now beat that, Windows...

More here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=313612&highlight=realtime+kernel

You won't get all modules etc from the ubuntu kernel, so if you need any
of those that might require some more hacking.

--
Ringheims Auto - Fri musikk for bilstereo!
http://ringheimsauto.org