Re: [linux-audio-user] I need a better video card for the AMD64 machine

From: chris beagles <christhemonkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 21 2006 - 17:43:21 EET

On 12/21/06, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I'm happy as a clam in mud with my new machine, but it's developed a
> problem. I purchased an inexpensive nVidia-based card that's starting to
> behave poorly. I think the hardware itself is buggy, the display will
> sometimes shudder rapidly side-to-side, blurring the screen view.
> Sometimes it stops and stays stopped, other times it goes on until I
> have to reboot. The problem doesn't appear to be a heating problem, but
> I've decided to go for a much better card anyway.
>
> So, I want an nVidia-based card with 256 MB video RAM and a decent
> cooling fan, preferably under $200. Any recommendations ?
>
> Best,
>
> dp

I have a nvidia geforce fx5500 hich cost me about £60 with 256mb video
RAM which has certainly done the job for me.
Sometimes it does get a bit warm in my box, but i think its because i
need to invest in some decent in case cooling.
(or maybe just move some dust off the fans so they spin!!)

Just my £0.02
Chris