Re: [linux-audio-user] New member wants to build a reliable DAW

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 22 2006 - 03:37:05 EET

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 23:34 -0800, Jon H wrote:

> On 12/19/06, Kjetil S. Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > I mentioned video cards... I really prefer nvidia under
> linux, due to
> > the quality of the proprietary drivers and ease of
> installation, and
>
> This is a bad advice. The proprietary drivers from nvidia
> cause xruns, and
> should be avoided. But older (ie. at least 2-3 year old)
> nvidia cards can
> be used with the open nv driver instead, which I will
> recommend, because I
> have had experience with numerous nvidia gfx cards, and have
> had very
> little problem.
>
> Actually anything you do visually will require a video card. The more
> capable the card and the drivers the less resources it will take away
> from the remaining system that is busy processing your audio. With a
> good video card that handles the majority of graphical rendering I
> experience almost NO xruns, that's at 5.8ms latency using an onboard
> (nforce4) chipset, and lower than that with a dedicated soundcard like
> the M-Audio stuff. Relying on the CPU and system ram to render FFT
> graphics and such will cause xruns, a good video card will not.

If you have a system that has a good realtime preemption patched kernel,
irq's properly optimized, a decent sound card, and a video card that has
drivers that are decent but has _no hardware acceleration_:

"Relying on the CPU and system ram to render FFT graphics and such" will
_not_ cause xruns.

In a properly tuned system with properly designed software the screen
update will definitly slow to a crawl - and perhaps it will be unusable
- but you should not get xruns (provided that the sound apps don't max
out the audio threads with realtime processing - in that case all bets
are off and no amount of graphics acceleration will help).

-- Fernando