Re: [linux-audio-user] move LAU to a forum?

From: Jon H <october001@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 25 2006 - 07:39:50 EET

On 12/24/06, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:
>
> > Yes, again, forums are uncomfortable to any who needs to track 20 of
> > them, but lovely for any who uses one or two of them.
>
> This leads me to believe that moving the list to a forum will loose alot
> of old timers, and seasoned users (those that are ikely to follow 20+
> lists) and embrace newbies instead. Not exactly what we want IMHO...
>
> --
> peace, love & harmony
> Atte

Hmmm... But then again that makes me reconsider my position... I prefer
lists for what we use them for and yet realize that forums have their places
too (in fact I'm a moderator on one).

Perhaps both IS the right way... keep the list so the "seasoned users" feel
at home and open a newbie friendly forum to help attract and also important
-keep- those stumbling into audio in linux.

Forums are where the new blood is and the new ideas. The more open and
inviting the linux audio community appears to those not already members the
better, IMHO. A forum can help consolidate information into more easily
browsable and indexed archives... a section for hardware related
discussions, one for software, one for beginners, one for dev, different
languages... I'm sure most of you have taken time away from the lists to
browse at least one or two forums in the recent past... you get the idea. I
suppose an official IRC channel wouldn't be a bad idea either for the "I
wanted the answer yesterday" crowd. Doesn't matter if it really works that
way or not, it's the presentation that it might that will make it attractive
to new members.

It's true that lists are a very powerful and efficient means of
communication but it's also true that to many newbies they seem a bit
antiquated and stuffy. Social networking is the new buzzword and a simple
list might not be enough to keep up with the changing times...

Just my thoughts.

Happy Holidays!

Jon Hoskins