Re: [linux-audio-user] The BIG picture

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 01 2007 - 02:18:32 EET

Folderol wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:29:25 -0500

>>> dominate.
>>> Isn't that because of the networking requirements in a radio/TV
>>> studio?
>> I thought it was because the broadcast pros standardized on Cool Edit
>> for Windows way back and never saw a good reason to upgrade because it
>> was cheap and reliable and did everything they need. Kind of like how
>> the legal profession uses WordPerfect rather than Word - they just never
>> saw a good reason to switch.
>>
>> Lee
>
> The legal profession has a specific reason for using WordPerfect. It
> is to do with the way it stores and displays corrections/alterations to
> a document.

FWIW, the legal profession (at least in the US) is pretty much Word now.
Two things held it back for a while, one small, one great. The small one
was that Word didn't calculate word counts the same way as WP - that's
been fixed. The great one was that vendors of the document and case
management software that most law firms are utterly dependent on didn't
have interfaces to Word. Once those became available, firms switched
quite happily.

As a long time and former WP user, I expect that WP will be the first
casualty of the growing use of OpenOffice and/or StarOffice. WP Corp
doesn't have the cash reserves available to sustain themselves, and
CorelDraw isn't significantly penetrating the Adobe graphics monopoly to
support it.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden