Re: [linux-audio-user] ladspa reverb

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 02 2007 - 11:08:30 EET

Yves Potin wrote:
> I also encounter important problems with TAP plugins. I have
> even rather old Ardour sessions that can hardly been used with TAP reverb
> activated...
> After hours and hours searching, I've also found that Zynaddsubfx
> doesn't suffer the presence of an Om patch using any TAP plugin, not only
> the chorus or the reverb but even the pink noise generator. Zyn generates
> rains of cracks and noises that immediately stops when deleting any TAP
> plugin from Om.
> Another problem is that TAP plugins compile with GCC 4, but
> doesn't work normally, especially the chorus, which requires GCC 3.

Thanks for this report. Sounds like both zynaddsubfx and TAP have problems.

 From what I understand Paul (author of zyn) became aware of certain
realtime issues only *after* having written zyn. Now fixing them would
require a rewrite of quite alot of zyn. At least the task is so huge
that it's the main reason he more or less left the project alone. So
what we end up with is one of the most promissing and unique
synthesizers in linux audio being left flawed and unmaintained :-(

> That's really a problem for me, because I've found no other reverb
> of such a quality in the linux world. Instead, I'm turning to VST
> effects but none of them are free (as in free speech), and the worst
> appears with Ambiance freeware, which seems excellent (
> http://www.smartelectronix.com/%7Emagnus/ ). I've found absolutely no way
> to save any user preset or even access to the factory presets. Most of
> the VSTs I've tried can't be used with FST, which seem to be able to save
> something like a preset, because of an X Window problem. I've related this
> in an e mail posted here (Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 12:37:27 +0100), and had
> no answer...

Maybe I'll have to look at VST's then...

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte