Re: [linux-audio-user] OT: Recommendations for Headphones and Mic

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 02 2007 - 19:32:17 EET

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 03:15:47PM +0000, James Stone wrote:
> I would like a brief rundown on what I will need for each mic
> setup.. I am guessing:
>
> For a dynamic mic:
>
> 1) The mic!
> 2) A mic preamp
> 3) a XLR-jack and jack to jack lead

> For a Condenser mic:
>
> 1) The mic
> 2) A phantom power supply

This is included in most preamps or mixers.

> 3) a mic preamp (do I need this as well as #2?)

Yes, you always need a preamp, except I think there are a few (rare)
microphones that have built-in preamps and deliver line-level
output. You probably won't come across any of those.

> 4) a XLR-XLR and XLR to jack lead

I'm guessing by "jack" you mean 1/4"?

The cable requirements for a dynamic mic are identical to those for
a condenser mic. The mic has an XLR output, the preamp has an XLR
input.

For connecting the preamp to your soundcard, it depends on the
available inputs on the soundcard and the available outputs on the
preamp.

> All these seem to add quite an extra cost to the mic.. Really
> seems like a waste of time with a SBLive, but I guess they would
> give a better upgrade path than buying an all in one
> condenser/USB mic.

Waste of time? I don't know about that... the line-input ADC in even
an SB Live is likely to be quite usable for getting started. You have
to be a bit more careful than with a high-quality 24-bit card to set
levels properly so you get acceptable signal to noise ratio; but hey,
even the SB Live is a lot better in every regard than the analog
4-track cassette devices I learned on.

If you can spare the money, I'd recommend something like a used Mackie
1202 mixer (that's what I got). Depending on the exact model, they go
for US $100-$200 on ebay. You get four very usable preamps with good
phantom power, a headphone amp, and it comes with a free mixer ;-)

Oh, and finally back to your question about mics: For vocals on a
budget I'm happy with my MXL V67G.

--
Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com