Re: [linux-audio-user] OT: Recommendations for Headphones and Mic

From: Brad Fuller <brad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 01:34:46 EET

James Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 12:11:59PM -0800, st wrote:
>>> The Samson C01U seems to get some variable reviews though..
>> This may work well for you, since you are on a budget, but
>> I wouldn't recommend it for the long run. You would be
>> buying a Microphone, preamp and USB audio interface all at
>> once, and *when* you decide that you want to upgrade one of
>> those features, you will have to do them all at the same time.
>>
>> The Soundblaster line input is fine for recording. Don't
>> even consider the mic input. It is too noisy. Unfortunately
>> you are looking at about $200 for a low cost preamp and
>> large-diaphragm condenser, which is out of your price range,
>> but would really give you a nice sound, even with the soundblaster
>> line in. Later, you will find out that the mic pre is too noisy,
>> so you will spend more on a better one, then you will find out that
>> the mic itself is generating quite a bit of noise (not dynamic of course,
>> but they expose more preamp noise due to gain requirements) so
>> you will upgrade that. Finally, you may want to upgrade the sound
>> card because it will become evident that the soundblaster has
>> an annoying limiter built in that makes it tough to overload the
>> digital signal, but does squash the loud parts of the signal,
>> changing the sound without your permission.
>>

> Thanks for all the input everyone!
>
> I have plumped for a Samson C03 and a Behringer minimic 800
> preamp (the tube MP sounded like it was somewhat delicate and
> fairly unreliable from a breaking down point of view from the
> reviews I read..).. For headphones I decided to get some
> Audio-Technica ATHM30.. Sounds like they should be adequate to my
> requirements..

Great.
OTOH, obtaining a mixer will give you a bit more functionality when you
want to add more external sound outputs (like CD player, etc.) to your
PC. You can get some inexpensive ones that already have mic preamps and
phantom.

> So fingers crossed it will all work..
>
> One last thing.. I was puzzling how to connect the mono output
> from the preamp to the stereo line-in on the sound card. In the
> end I bought a dual mono 1/4" to stereo 1/8" jack lead. This
> seems most sensible to me, though I was wondering if a straight
> stereo-stereo would have worked??

Think of the audio input as 2 channel input, not stereo. Connect line
out of preamp to one of the channel inputs.