Re: [linux-audio-user] status of ams

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 16:30:51 EET

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 03:07:26PM +0100, Lars Luthman wrote:

> Is there really any need for explicit support for logarithmic control in
> the engine itself? All ugens in Om/Ingen except for a very small number
> that interface with the audio and MIDI ins and outs are LADSPA (or
> similar) plugins, it's not as if you can't connect a logarithmic output
> port of one plugin to a logarithmic input port of another.

Probably there is no 'technical' problem doing so, but it would mean
you have two sets of modules that are really incompatible with each
other - it could become very confusing to a user. The 'spirit' of Om/
Ingen seems to be linear control, and AFAIK that is a deliberate choice
of its author and one I will respect, even if don't think it's the best
choice for a mainstream synth ('mainstream' used here as opposed to more
abstract environments such as CSound or SuperCollider).

--
FA
Lascia la spina, cogli la rosa.