Re: [linux-audio-user] status of ams

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 07 2007 - 19:02:01 EET

Folderol wrote:

> It gets nice results but seems a *lot* of effort to get them.

If you're not used to modular synthesis, yes. Plus don't have a stock of
presets to load...

> Also I'm
> used to fully polyphonic synths (both hardware & software).

For the record ams is polyphonic, use -p when you start the program

>> 3) If you ever tried what did you love about it and what did you hate?
>> Did you find user friendly? Did it perform well?
>
> Not at all user friendly - couldn't find any help information.

This wasn't the purpose of this thread, but for the record there are
included example patches +
http://alsamodular.sourceforge.net/alsamodularsynth_doc.html

>> 4) To rephrase 2): If the project was resurrected, what would it take
>> for *you* to start using it.
>
> Doubtful that I'd be interested actually.

Fair enough!

>> <snip>I'm interested in helping with
>> bringing it to a state where it's a bit more usable...
>
> Kudos to you if you do, but personally I'd be more interested in (what
> you're already doing with) ZynAddSubFX :)

Well, first ams and zyn are quite different and would make a great
combo. Secondly it seems that zyn has problems that go so deep a
complete rewrite is needed for it to perform well in a jack/low
latency/realtime environment. And such a rewrite is totally out of my
league + the people that IMO could take on such a task choose not to,
probably because of the size of the task...

This means that I (put harshly) have to consider zyn dying, whereas to
me ams is more in hibernation...

Anyways, thanks for your thoughts!

--
peace, love & harmony