Re: [linux-audio-user] Interesting Article

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 07:26:15 EET

Jay Vaughan wrote:
>> for pro-audio and music types, its actually getting very good. for
>> regular consumers who just use desktop apps, its an incredible
>> nightmare.
>
> Unless they pitch in under the Ubuntu tent, which I have found to be
> perfectly usable, and at least comparable with Windows for setup, using
> standard hardware (I'm on a Dell laptop, and it Just Plain Works for all
> my Audio needs ..)

My experience over the past 10 years with Dell hardware is ... whether
or not it works depends on exactly which model Dell, exactly when it was
manufactured, how much Dell tweaked the hardware to look good on PC
Magazine performance tests, and probably the phases of the moon. My
daughter has a Dell laptop, and none of the following distros run on it
- Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Kanotix and Knoppix. They all get partway through the
boot process and freeze. Windows XP Pro runs just fine on it.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden