Re: [linux-audio-user] status of ams

From: Jay Vaughan <jayv@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 22:31:23 EET

>>Yup .. and its a lovely little environment for audio hacking too, I
>>might add .. and is bound to get better as we get gadget_audio,
>>gadget_midi, MidiShare and rlyehs' minilib all working in such a
>>way as to provide us a 'totally integrated' hardware platform for
>>synth/plugin development ..
>Sounds interresting! Who are "we", what's the processor power like,
>is it DIY, and where can I read more about it?

We are the GP2X hackers, mostly collected around #gp2xdev on EFNet,
the processor power is what you'd expect out of a dual-core ARM
running at anywhere from 200mhz -> 275mhz (its an overclockers
delight) with 64megs of RAM, the device itself is made by GamePark
Holdings (http://gbax.com/) and you can read more about it here:

http://www.gp32x.com/

and here:

http://www.gp32x.com/board/

I'm currently working on a bootable SD image "distribution" for the
GP2X that will give the user
MidiShare+SDL/Cairo/SVG+g_audio,g_midi+[drivers not included in the
stock firmware (powermate, usb-midi, etc.)], and will be announcing
it in the near future on gp32x.com, where a great deal of hacking of
the device is occurring.

Its a fully open-source, Linux-based games machine, and soon it will
be a fully open-source *portable battery-powered* Linux-based
MIDI/Audio workstation, too .. It has both USB Device and USB Host
ports, though to use USB Host you have to hack up your cable or buy
the breakoutbox (currently available in a non-box'ed developers
edition, soon to be consumer-friendly wrapped in a nice
docking-station) .. fortunately its quite easy to make your own
cable, I've done 4 so far myself for various things .. has serial i/o
(console), JTAG, etc. also available on the EXT header too ..

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=29323&hl=

http://www.hackaday.com/2006/02/12/gp2x-usb-host-mode/

http://www.firestarter-music.de/gp2x/

http://www.gamersection.ca/product_info.php?products_id=272&language=1

http://flickr.com/photos/tschuktschuk/203837189/in/set-72157594220067743/

It already has some great music apps, incidentally, such as lgpt,
milkytracker, gpx2xPd, and a few others - check the archives above
for more details on such apps ..

http://www.10pm.org/nostromo/lgpt/

http://mccormick.cx/projects/gp2xPd/

http://community.livejournal.com/littlegptracker/22419.html

http://www.hackaday.com/2006/02/12/gp2x-usb-host-mode/

http://www.milkytracker.net/

http://www.hackaday.com/2006/03/08/qtopia-on-the-gp2x/

Hope thats pimp enough for you .. the more linux hackers that get a
GP2X and get interested in it, the better! :)

--
;
Jay Vaughan