Re: [linux-audio-user] Best possible PCI-Express video card for DAW

From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 16 2007 - 02:36:40 EET

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 06:19:34PM -0500, mark@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> Paul -
>
> Thanks for the info. By best, I mean a card that is going to install
> in linux with the least trouble, be quiet, and give me enough
> resolution to do audio work. I don't need screaming 3-D.

My experience is that the best user experience comes from using ATI
cards with the free drivers. Not as fast as using proprietary drivers
on ATI or Nvidia, but much stabler and simpler (it just works with no
fiddling). Thus, for many tasks I'd be tempted to go with the Radeon
x700, as the last ATI card currently supported with free drivers.

I'm interested in trying the new 965G graphics, but that is only a on
the motherboard option, so it doesn't apply to you, and for general use
the x700 will probably work better at the moment (but that might change
in a few months, when the new intel drivers are included by default).
Plus, I don't see very many 965G motherboards with DVI output.