Re: [linux-audio-user] Please help me tune Jack (with Freebob, improving on the ASork distribution)

From: Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 19 2007 - 04:07:50 EET

On Friday 19 January 2007 01:38, Carlo Capocasa wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> My first big success since I bought my BeBoB based audio interface: It
> works! :)
>
> I used the beautiful little audio distribution called ASork by Johan
> Mattson, which really embodies everything I could ever expect from a
> linux audio distribution. I expanded its use to Freebob and I will be
> feeding my experience back to Johan, so expect a perfectly usable live
> cd with the option of Debian installation with the power of Freebob!
>
> I am working to get the thing absolutely, rock solid stable to the point
> you can use your consumer-end PC as a live instrument and I will be
> testing it on road conditions. As of now, every few minutes or so, I
> experience a one-second XRun. I would like to invite anyone with
> expertise in eliminating XRuns and increasing Jack's performance to
> reply with measures I could take.
>
> Here are the exact circumstances:
>
> * ASork is a Morphix based LiveCD with realtimed kernel
> * I am using version 0.04, with the kernel of 0.02, due
> to a bug that causes a hard lockup (mouse pointer won't
> move, must hard reset system) when starting Jack with the
> Freebob backend. That is kernel 2.6.15 with the realtime
> patch; at this time it is unknown to me whether Johan
> applied other patches or whether they might be relevant.
> * ASork 0.04 is installed to disk, and expanded which
> packages from the Debian Sid repository, along with the
> FreeBob and Freebobified Jack packages from Debian Experimental.
> * there is a line 'none tmpfs /tmp/jack defaults 0 0' in /etc/fstab
>
> What can I do to make my system absolutely foolproof realtime?

Have you tuned your irq setup?

Read my little page on the subject

http://tapas.affenbande.org/wordpress/?page_id=40

It's a little disorganized, but might be helpful..

Flo

BTW: should we create the ONE linux low latency guide at linuxaudio.org? The
existing ones are mostly concerned with 2.4 kernels and other stuff from the
last millenium :)

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org