Re: [linux-audio-user] M-Audio Ozonic and FreeBob

From: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 20 2007 - 16:05:54 EET

Jeff Sandys wrote:
> Pieter Palmers wrote:
>> Jeff Sandys wrote:
>>> Has anyone tried to use an M-Audio Ozonic firewire keyboard
>>> and audio I/O with FreeBob? If so, have you tried the Enigma
>>> editor with Wine to load and save settings?
>> I haven't tried it, but I can say with 99% confidence that this
>> Enigma editor won't work. It might run on Wine, but it won't
>> find the Ozonic.
>
> Thanks for the reply, Pieter, that is kind of what I thought.
>
> Do you know if M-Audio has published the API for Enigma-Ozonic
> setup loads and saves?
AFAIK they didn't publish an API.

> or,
> Do you know of a Windows Firewire listener/sniffer that will let
> me monitor the Enigma-Ozonic firewire transactions?
Sure, but that incorporates special hardware, because the normal OHCI
cards cannot be put into a sniffing mode. You need either special
hardware (expensive) or a PCILynx based card (not cheap either).

> and,
> Is there a c/c++ routine that I can use Python and SWIG to build
> an Enigma like application in Linux? (Enigma saves the settings
> in an XML file)
I don't understand what you mean.

> or,
> Is M-Audio Linux friendly enough to build a Linux version of
> Enigma, (they have Windows, Mac ppc and intel versions).
I don't think they will put any effort in linux support, apart from
maybe supplying us (FreeBoB) with the information needed so that we can
implement support.

I think you can summarize M-Audio's stance towards Linux as 'not hostile
but not prepared to invest time'.

Pieter