Re: [linux-audio-user] This criticism of jackd valid?

From: Brett W. McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 22 2007 - 19:49:45 EET

On 22 Jan 2007 12:36:57 -0500, Michal Seta <mis@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Jay Vaughan <jayv@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>
> > its clear from this thread that there simply aren't enough linux-audio
> > pimps making the rounds and hyping the scene. hands up who has been
> > making tons of music with linux lately? it sure would be nice to hear
> > a lot more from those folks, and maybe even be able to push it further
> > out into the mainstream as examples of doing it right with linux-audio

Raises hand...

I use Linux exclusively for sequencing and recording (I have a second
machine running XP that I use exclusively for plugins only, almost
like a Receptor or Plugzilla kind of thing) ... my studio isn't
'mainstream' by any stretch of the imagination, but I am starting to
record people other than myself, now that I have two isolation booths
in my studio now and am aiming at going semi-pro.

In fact, yesterday, I spent quite a few hours recording a band for
their 5 song demo... 8 tracks recording all at once (via Delta1010)
and not a single xrun in all that time. In fact, I don't remember the
last time I got an xrun... I can't even say my DAW is exactly cutting
edge, just a 1.4GHz Athlon Gentoo machine with 512M of RAM (and
firewire drives).

-- Brett
"In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden;
    If I were to divulge it, it would overturn the world."
               -- Jelaleddin Rumi