[linux-audio-user] Musix is being used at Joe Wilson Intermediate School in Cedar Hill, Texas, USA

From: Marcos Guglielmetti <marcospcmusica@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 24 2007 - 22:27:54 EET

Article: http://www.musix.org.ar/wordpress/?p=53

Musix is being used at Joe Wilson Intermediate School in Cedar Hill, Texas,
USA

The school teacher Marilyn Hagle (marilyn.hagle [ … ] chisd.com) is using
Musix in her lessons of music at Joe Wilson Intermediate School in Cedar
Hill, Texas, USA.

“I am a 5th/6th grade general music teacher and use bootable Musix CDs in our
computer lab with students once a week. It rocks!

First the students work on the easy rhythm practice exercises in Solfege. Then
we go to the Hydrogen Drum Machine program and the students write their own
rhythm patterns.

I have each class for only twelve weeks a year. This twelve weeks term we are
going to try compose a melody and add percussion to it. Note Edit would be
the easiest to use with this age group, but in the .5 version it doesn’t load
the synthesizer consistantly (could be user error of course :) ). I am
downloading your latest release right now, so maybe that will have a fix.”

We are working to debug this problem, maybe related to Timidity.

“It might interest you to know that the students are now working on composing
percussion accompaniments in Hydrogen for the program. We will be singing
our school song, “The Lion Sleeps Tonight,” and playing a melody from
Beethoven’s 9th Symphony on our recorders . . . all with Hydrogen
accompaniments. :)”

She have taught also in Minnesota and Chicago, her BA is in music and her MA
in media communications, also she is certified to teach music and technology
applications in Texas.

Well, boys, another woman using GNU/Linux! But, “sadly”, she is married ;)

Marilyn started using computers in the classroom in 1982, she moved to Free
Software in 1998, and she thinks educators are crazy or lazy for not using
GNU+Linux.

Just a last note… Marilyn is exited about the new apps that were included into
the last Musix’s version, 0.79 (we included them thinking about the needs of
artistic schools and rock bands): “I was so excited to download your latest
version and see it included Cinelerra and Blender!! Before I took this job,
I taught high school computer animation using Blender (fabulous!). One of my
educational goals has been to teach kids how to write their own songs and
make them into music videos!!”

Thanks Marilyn Hagle for using, teaching and spread Free Software!

--
Marcos Guglielmetti
* Director del desarrollo de Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre