Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: video card redux

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 06:29:19 EET

Frank Barknecht wrote:

>> Now how could I get a quiet laptop?
>
> By buying one? Quiet laptops are not hard to find. Most Intel laptops
> with Intel GFX cards (Centrino etc.) are very quiet. E.g. my MSI S260
> Centrino 1.6Ghz is completely silent unless it's really under load,
> then the fan kicks in (at 60°C) which is healthy. But normally I only
> get this high load when I'm running complex Pd patches, and these are
> loud anyways. ;)

My Toshiba laptop (1.5GHz Celeron) is completely silent. Even the fan is
almost inaudible when it comes on, which generally only happens under
intense disk load or high CPU usage.

My wife's old Sony Viao Superslim Pro was incredibly quiet. It was
small, encased in a magnesium case that did a great job of functioning
as a heatsink, and had no CD or floppy drive to kick up any noise. It
had one small fan for the CPU, and I could never hear the fan at all.

Of course, the Superslim Pro line wasn't exactly cheap, then, and
probably isn't cheap now, either.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden