Re: [linux-audio-user] Where's the weak link?

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Fri Jan 26 2007 - 20:19:16 EET

On 1/25/07, Arnold Krille <arnold.krille@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I found cron with its runs every ten minutes more disturbing. (*)
> Afaik KDE uses hal and dbus for the device-notifications. It doesn't
> poll devices but gets notified.

Battery polling apparently generates SMM traps on this hardware which
is guaranteed to cause xruns. CDROM status, HAL, dbus, and disk
activity should not cause xruns with a good kernel, but the SMM issue
cannot be avoided other than to totally disable battery polling.

This is certainly something KDE should provide a switch for.

Lee