Re: [linux-audio-user] Nmmm nmmm (yawn)

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 26 2007 - 22:53:49 EET

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 09:29:41 +0000
James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 09:54:49PM -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > Folderol wrote:
> > >
> > >Anyway, the results so far are on:
> > >
> > >http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Celtic_Dream.ogg
> > >http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Celtic_Dream.mp3
> >
> > Hey, that's pretty good!
> >
> > Needs a bit more tightening all around. The material is good but needs
> > to spend a bit more time in the mixing phase. The various tracks are not
> > 100% "aligned" from a sound perspective.
> > E.g., the instrument that kicks in at 00:08 - you don't want a sound
> > that "shiny" in this kind of song. I see what you're trying to convey,
> > but it's a tad too sandpaper-ish. I wonder if a very gentle low-pass
> > will make it blend more naturally.
>
> I think it sounds like it was supposed to be bagpipes to me.. but
> bagpipes are some of the worst midi voices ever.. Also it would need
> a drone to be authentic. Also the bodhran doesn't sound too
> authentic.

That's the main lead instrument. I think the other poster was referring
to the 'deep chimes' sound.

I was a bit undecided whether to go for a bagpipe like sound or a
flute. I tried a flute originally but it was too smooth and got buried
by the other instruments later on. I think it definitely has to be a
reed instrument of some sort, but bagpipes have a particular sort of
squeak or chirp that is never the same twice and virtually impossible
to emulate!

> I like the song, but to my ears the midi soundcanvas sound is
> horrible. I particularly hate that new-age synthy sound.. perhaps
> that's just me though. I wonder if some of the FluidG3 soundfont
> sounds would be better. It's a shame there isn't anything like
> the Edirol orchestra vst for Linux.. Also I agree the note start
> timings are a bit delayed in places..

Again, I don't want to overwork the timings. Apart from the background,
all parts were played in real time and, although I will do more work, I
don't want to mechanicalise them - that's a good word :)

> Overall very nice composition though!
>
> James

Thanks

--